Growing up we didn’t have Pinterest, Google or hundreds of magazines with ideas. We had the stay at home babysitter, the cool lady at the end of the street, after school groups or a fun home economics teacher with ideas like ants on a log (celery w/ peanut butter topped with raisins) or bananas on a stick (dipped in chocolate) or crushing up peppermints to put on hot chocolate.
Now you can pretty much find cute and quirky ideas all over the place. Although my children are older now, I still have young nephews who love to eat HA HA! I came across this neat little recipe this summer and it was a hit for kids & adults!
So the components to this dish are fairly easy. The instructions are below but here are some tips for making it:
I whipped my heavy cream while slicing and cleaning out the oranges. For an even EASIER version, you can use your choice of store bought whipped cream (about 12 oz worth, so that’s 1 container & a half). I’ve made this both ways and got the same results.
Freeze the orange cups for as long as you freeze your ice cream. The temp starts to drop fairly quickly on a warm day and having the cups nice & frozen help.
Have more oranges that you need. YOU WILL HAVE CAUSALITIES unless you pick the most perfect oranges you can.
It took about 45 minutes to put everything together but with freezing time it was about 6 hours all together, so while it’s quick & easy it’s definitely something you need to do beforehand. A regular ice cream scoop worked well.
Easy Orange Creamsicles!
- 6 Navel Oranges
- 2 cups Heavy Cream
- 1 can Sweetened Condensed Milk 14 oz
- 1 cup Frozen (Thawed) Orange Juice Concentrate 12 oz
- Line a baking sheet or pan that can fit flat in your freezer with wax paper.
- Slice oranges in half, trimming away bottoms/tops so that the orange peels sit rather flat/steady. Then scoop fruit out from the inside (reserve for later use). Transfer to your baking sheet/pan and freeze.
- In a mixer beat whipped cream on medium high speed until stiff pics form. Separately combine condensed milk and orange concentrate. Then fold in the whipped cream.
- Transfer to a shallow container and freeze until firm enough to scoop out, about 5 hours. Divide evenly among orange cups, serve immediately.